Call for applications!
2019 LENA Start Matching Funds
Through the generosity of committed funding partners, LENA will be able to support new communities in launching LENA Start by providing matching funds grants of a minimum of $25,000. To learn more about LENA Start, please read through the LENA Start Proposal before proceeding to the application.
Dates to Know
We are currently accepting applications for the third funding cycle:
- March 15, 2019: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- April 30, 2019: Signed Program Agreement in place
- June 1, 2019: LENA Start trainings completed
- June 15, 2019: First LENA Start group to launch
- May 15, 2019: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- June 30, 2019: Signed Program Agreement in place
- August 31, 2019: LENA Start trainings completed
- September 30, 2019: First LENA Start group to launch
Round 3 - deadline extended!
- July 15, 2019 August 1, 2019: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- August 31, 2019: Signed Program Agreement in place
- September 15, 2019: LENA Start trainings completed
- October 11, 2019: First LENA Start group to launch
If you need to consider launching after September, please email Jess at email@example.com.
LENA Start Best Practices
- Use a tiered approach to scaling: LENA Start is a parent group model and typically operates with 15-20 families in each group. To serve the required minimum of 150 families in the first 24 months, consider having 1-2 groups in your first wave, 2-3 groups in your second wave, 3-5 groups in your third wave and 3-5 groups in your fourth wave. With each wave being 10 weekly sessions, we recommend two to three waves per year (spring, summer, and fall).
- We are here to help you! From initial training and implementation, to ongoing support, to data summaries and site visits, we are here to help you be successful. The more you engage with us, the more we will engage with you!
- Community partners strengthen applications. Some partners might be financial supporters or recruiting partners, while others might donate time, resources, volunteers, or supplies (books, food, child care).
- Engagement with families doesn't have to begin and end with LENA Start. LENA Start is a great catalyst for connecting families to each other, community resources, and opportunities. Many successful sites have opportunities for families to participate in additional activities or classes after the program is over.
- There is a learning curve. Some aspects of the program will always take time and energy, but in LENA Start many things get easier with time and benefit from economies of scale.
We are excited about this opportunity to bring LENA Start to YOUR community. Before finalizing your application we recommend setting up a call with our team to walk through the details of your implementation, or reaching out to us directly via email: