Call for applications!
2022 LENA Start Launch Grants
In 2022 caregiver stress remains at an all-time high and the need to support families is greater than ever. In response, our funding partners are helping us to provide in-kind grants towards the launch of new LENA Start programs.
- Read more about what it looks like to implement LENA Start in the detailed LENA Start Proposal.
- Learn about our curriculum and guidance for virtual delivery on this recorded webinar.
- Meet the communities that received past Launch Fund Grants in round one and round two.
What you need to know:
- Grants are an in-kind contribution towards a LENA Start program agreement for a new LENA partner.
- Grant amounts may vary depending on the scope and scale of the initial contract, but our target is a 1:1 match to funding sourced by the applicant.
- Minimum requirements are to serve at least 125 families in the initial two-year contract term. Preference will be given to larger reach numbers.
- Key dates:
- Application Round 1 - Summer or Fall 2022 Program Launch
- March 15, 2022: Applications due
- May 1, 2022: Contract signed
- Application Round 2 - Fall 2022 Program Launch
- May 15, 2022: Applications due
- August 1, 2022: Contract signed
If you aren't quite ready to apply for funding but would like to learn more, please submit the interest form below so our team can be in touch:
LENA Start Best Practices
We've had more than 40 partners (and counting!) successfully implement LENA Start and see the children and families in their communities make measurable gains in language, interaction, and kindergarten readiness. Here are a few helpful hints we've learned along the way:
- Use a tiered approach to scaling: LENA Start is a parent group model and typically operates with 8-12 families in each group. To serve a minimum of 125 families in the first 24 months, consider having 1-2 groups in your first sessions, 2-3 groups in your second sessions, and 3-5 groups in ongoing sessions. With each group meeting for 10 weeks, we recommend two to three sessions per year (Spring, Summer, and Fall). We also understand that all of this may look different for your organization right now, and that's okay, too.
- We are here to help you! From initial training and implementation, to ongoing support, to data summaries and site visits, we are here to help you be successful. The more you engage with us, the more we will engage with you!
- Community partners strengthen applications. Some partners might be financial supporters or recruiting partners, while others might donate time, resources, volunteers, or supplies (books, food, child care). Check out our Guide to Building and Maintaining Community Partnerships.
- Engagement with families doesn't have to begin and end with LENA Start. LENA Start is a great catalyst for connecting families to each other, community resources, and opportunities. Many successful sites have opportunities for families to participate in additional activities or classes after the program is over.
- There is a learning curve. Some aspects of the program will always take time and energy, but in LENA Start many things get easier with time and benefit from economies of scale.
Ready to apply?
Please note that submitting an application is not a commitment to partner with LENA and you have the option to withdraw your application at any time.