Call for applications!
2020 LENA Start Launch Funds
Through the generosity of committed philanthropic partners, LENA is able to support new communities launching LENA Start in 2020! The funds fully offset the one-time start-up fee and year one participant fees, an in-kind contribution of more than $30,000. Learn more about what it looks like to implement LENA Start by reading through the detailed LENA Start Proposal.
Dates to Know
Applications for LENA Start Launch Funds will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all funding has been allocated. Programs will launch in three rounds to support training and family recruitment.
Round 1 - Spring 2020 program launch:
- October 15, 2019: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- December 20, 2019: Signed Program Agreement in place
- February 14, 2020: LENA Start trainings completed
- February-April, 2020: First LENA Start group to launch
Round 2 - Summer 2020 program launch:
- January 24, 2020: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- March 6, 2020: Signed Program Agreement in place
- May 30, 2020: LENA Start trainings completed
- June, 2020: First LENA Start group to launch
Round 3 - Fall 2020 program launch:
- April 24, 2020: Application deadline. Note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and moved forward as received.
- May 31, 2020: Signed Program Agreement in place
- August 31, 2020: LENA Start trainings completed
- August-October, 2020: First LENA Start group to launch
Let us help you through the process!
We are excited about this opportunity to bring LENA Start to YOUR community. Our team is standing by to walk through the step-by-step details of implementation and answer any questions you may have about the process. Just fill out the form below and a member of our Partnerships Team will be in touch.
LENA Start Best PracticesWe've had more than 30 partners (and counting!) successfully implement LENA Start and see the children and families in their community make measurable gains in language, interaction, and kindergarten readiness. Here are a few helpful hints we've learned along the way:
- Use a tiered approach to scaling: LENA Start is a parent group model and typically operates with 15-20 families in each group. To serve the required minimum of 150 families in the first 24 months, consider having 1-2 groups in your first wave, 2-3 groups in your second wave, 3-5 groups in your third wave and 3-5 groups in your fourth wave. With each wave being 10 weekly sessions, we recommend two to three waves per year (Spring, Summer, and Fall).
- We are here to help you! From initial training and implementation, to ongoing support, to data summaries and site visits, we are here to help you be successful. The more you engage with us, the more we will engage with you!
- Community partners strengthen applications. Some partners might be financial supporters or recruiting partners, while others might donate time, resources, volunteers, or supplies (books, food, child care).
- Engagement with families doesn't have to begin and end with LENA Start. LENA Start is a great catalyst for connecting families to each other, community resources, and opportunities. Many successful sites have opportunities for families to participate in additional activities or classes after the program is over.
- There is a learning curve. Some aspects of the program will always take time and energy, but in LENA Start many things get easier with time and benefit from economies of scale.